The history of the Carella family in Hamilton
In 1902 Frank Carella came to America from Italy at the age of 17.
In 1908 Frank married Mary Maimona. They had seven children.
In 1921 Frank opened Capital shoe Repair on the corner of North Hamilton Avenue. He was well trained and the business was successful. His two sons, Jim and Fran worked after school and learned the trade.
In 1941 After completing his High School education and finishing Princeton Business School his son, Jim, joined the Marines.
In 1947 after attending Dr. Scholl’s School in New York City Jim opened a corrective shoe store in his father’s repair shop.
In 1955 Jim asked his brother Fran to become a partner and they opened a Family Shoe Store at 2503 Nottingham Way in Mercerville, NJ. Fran managed the new store while Jim and his wife continued to run the Hamilton Avenue store.
In 1961 Fran purchased the home at 2505 Nottingham Way in Mercerville, NJ and had a store front built on to the home. They moved the Shoe store from the North Hamilton Avenue location to 2503 Nottingham Way and doubled the size of their Shoe store.
In 1966 Jim and Fran purchased the Corner Property next to 2503 Nottingham Way at the corner of Crescent Avenue and Nottingham Way. This lot is currently being used for customer parking.
In 1971 Jim and Fran purchased Warrick’s Luncheonette and Gift Shop at 2431 Nottingham Way right next store to their Shoe store location. The property was renovated and Jim and Fran moved the Shoe Store into this location, again doubling the size of the store and the amount of customer parking.
In 1977 James Carella retired.
In 1989 Fran Carella retired.
Both Locations are currently owned and operated by the Children of Fran Carella.